Wednesday

Have You Ever Asked Yourself - Are You Working With Purpose?


What was your number one purpose at work today? Was it to get there on time? Or maybe to leave on time? Did you complete assigned tasks or gossip? Did you avoiding talking about sports, or did you waste your work day away? Brian Tracy said, "Work all the time you're at work." So, the question you need to ask yourself is this, "Do you work with purpose?"
A lot of people are having a hard time finding employment for two reasons. The first reason is they didn't get better at their job. They didn't utilize self-study opportunities. I know this fact from my own personal experience. I had several years to study for the CompTIA Security+ certification or even the CISSP. At that time, I never got around to it. Then, I found myself jobless, looking long and hard for a job that would recognize my military experience and post military work experience, without any certifications. I had little to no luck. As I sat home, unemployed and desperate, I thought to myself, "If I get hired, if I get this next job, I promise to study and get certified!" It was just like the the old story about the man who was freezing, looking at the wood stove and said, "if you give me some heat, then I'll put some wood in!" I searched and applied for several positions with no success. Only when I "networked" a position did I get an interview. Finally, I got hired, but with low pay. Then found myself in a role training someone with a "cert" who was making twice as much as my salary. This was possible, simply because they had a security certification and I was still "planning" on getting one. And there I was, training the guy!


Get better in your career field, or get left behind. If you stay at your current skill level, and technology keeps changing, you're not maintaining, you're not even keeping up! My advice to you is simple - study, take computer based training courses (CBTs), attend free webinars, join organizations, volunteer, read, study in your car with audio tapes - do something, do anything...or get left behind.
The second reason people have a hard time getting hired, is they don't work with purpose. Working with purpose, in any job, takes some effort on your part. Ok, it takes a lot of effort, but the reward is priceless. Begin by keeping your focus on the task at hand. Complete assigned projects, research information and get answers on your own, and most important...help others succeed. Stay focused. Use focus as your tool to maintain purpose in your career. As Brian Tracy says, "become a Go Giver, instead of a go getter." Next, volunteer for special work assignments. Show your boss you are willing to work hard and have the ability to take on more responsibility. You'll make his or her life easier and can use this opportunity to excel and learn. Lastly, improve your speaking skills to be able to communicate your new found knowledge in better ways to your peers and managers. Communication is key to helping others succeed, relaying ideas, and moving up in your field!
You'll find working with purpose is rewarding in many ways. By becoming an on purpose performer, you'll help others succeed, improve you're knowledge-skills-and abilities, and create the foundation of success. Enjoy the "Go Giver" attitude as you automatically prepare yourself for promotion and become a subject matter expert (SME) in your field. And as an added benefit, have great skills to add to your resume! Remember, get a certification (or two), work with purpose, stay focused, and you will truly enjoy your career!
Ben Rivera, CISSP, is a U.S. Air Force veteran, and former government contractor and civil service employee. Ben has over 9 years of experience writing resumes and interviewing/gaining security and network security positions. With this knowledge, he began helping others gain successful careers by coaching and mentoring security professionals. He is the owner of http://www.CoachSecurity.Info

No comments:

Post a Comment